Tennis was the first sport I realized significant profits on. For a lot of people, tennis can seem boring to watch but for me, it was the most interesting and fun sport to follow and to bet on.
The fact that I succeeded in making tennis betting a profitable income source makes it more likable for me.
My basic betting strategy back then was arbitrage betting but later I realized that it is more profitable to switch to value betting with tennis betting too.
Why is tennis good for a value betting strategy?
The fact that tennis is not a team sport (except in doubles) is making tennis one of the best sports for making money with value betting.
- A lot of bettors made a fortune and made tennis betting for a living after learning enough and getting experience.
- The downside of tennis being an individual sport is having higher chances of performance fluctuation. Keep reading for detailed information about tennis value betting.
What is value betting in tennis?
Value betting is one of the most profitable and sure ways of making money with sports betting. This technique can guarantee you significant profit in the long run.
How does value betting work?
Value betting is based on taking the best odds possible for an outcome, but that odds have to be higher than the true chance of winning it.
In short, you need to find odds and betting lines that are overpriced and the payout is higher than it should be.
What does this mean in tennis betting?
To be a winner in tennis betting, in the long run, the most guaranteed way is to have better information about the match than the bookmaker does.
You as a bettor don’t need to know tennis better than all of the bookmakers.
To make it more clear here is a short example:
- You find a tennis match at WilliamHill where the bookie thinks that both players have a 50%-50% chance to win.
- This would give you an odd of approximately 1.88 for both players.
- Knowing a bookmaker that is more accurate in defining odds will put you an advantage. One of the best sharp bookmakers is Pinnacle. Pinnacle in this case will share odds of 1.55-2.55 for players in this match.
- Knowing and trusting in Pinnacle’s odds, if we take the odds of 1.88, we will have an advantage over our bookmaker.
This betting technique named value betting is proven to be one of the most profitable ones.
The strategy itself is working on every sport if you can find bookmakers with sharp (the most accurate) odds.
Is tennis good for betting?
Tennis is one of the best sports for betting. Sports like football have way more attention and followers than Tennis. But in my experience with a good strategy, tennis can generate more profit.
A lot of punters gained enough information about tennis players. This knowledge can guarantee them an edge over the bookmakers.
In short, some bettors have enough experience to decide in a more accurate way the chance of a tennis player winning the match.
Gaining that amount of knowledge about tennis can take a while and it needs a lot of experience. Fortunately, as I said we can find bookmakers that can offer more accurate odds than the others.
But why is tennis so good for betting?
- It is easy to understand and learn the rules
- Most bookmakers are covering every main tournament
- Tennis is in the top 5 of the most followed sports so the statistics are really accurate and the bookmakers are letting you place big stakes
- Strategies like Arbitrage betting and Value betting are harder to notice in live betting
- The matches are finished relatively fast, so after a winner bet you can place new bets faster
Is tennis betting easy?
Generally speaking, tennis rules are easy to learn and we can find a ton of statistics about players.
If you are practicing mathematical betting strategies like Arbitrage betting or Value betting then tennis can cause you hard times.
In pre-match betting, every betting technique is easier to follow. The odds are not moving so fast, so you have more time to make calculations and decisions.
If we are talking about how easy tennis betting is in-play, well there are differences between strategies.
Arbitrage betting in tennis
Arbitrage betting is very similar to value betting. It is based on the same technique of finding overpriced odds, but in this case, the bettor is covering the other outcome at another bookmaker.
This betting technique is generating guaranteed profit with very low risk. On the other hand, in live tennis betting, the odds are moving really fast.
Arbitrage betting requires enough time for calculating the right stakes and placing bets for both outcomes. So, betting on tennis with this strategy is not easy.
You have to find the right time, for example in breaks, to place your bets.
Value betting in tennis
Value betting, on the other hand, is an easier task for a bettor. You do not need to calculate stakes. Your task is to find value bets and determine whether they are true values.
Besides these, you just need to place the bets with a stake that you already know from your basic money management strategy.
If you are planning to start value betting with tennis or in general, have a look at the Software that RebelBetting has to offer. For a fair price, you will get a scanning service that will boost your income.
A detailed review of their service you can be read here.
How do you always win in tennis betting?
The only betting strategy that can guarantee from every bet placed is arbitrage betting.
As I already mentioned, this betting technique is based on finding overpriced markets and covering the other outcome at a different bookmaker.
The fact that you always win with this betting strategy can make it seem the best one you ever heard about. But the fact is that it has a lot of downsides too.
The biggest disadvantage of sure betting on tennis and on sports, in general, is that bookmakers don’t like smart bettors.
Making guaranteed money from sports betting and always winning in tennis betting makes you a bettor who is not welcomed by most bookmakers.
Most bookies are limiting maximum stakes, closing accounts, and taking away bonus offers if they catch you for arbitrage betting.
Tennis betting strategy
Finally, let’s mention some tennis betting strategies.
Lately, I found out that Pinnacle is not the only one with accurate, sharp odds. Some bookmakers like Bet365 are getting great pros in defining the real probability for tennis players to win.
Even in live betting, their odds are getting smarter and sharper. Personally, I don’t like placing bets before the start of the match.
A lot of betting strategies are offering good ROI (return on investment) for tennis betting in pre-match, but in my experience live betting has more advantages:
- Odds are moving fast, so bookmakers are making more mistakes
- In tennis especially they can’t flag your account so fast for smart betting
My most basic tennis strategy for live value betting:
- Compare odds with Pinnacle using scanner services
- I’m taking value bets above 1% but below 6% to avoid a fast limitation
- Small tournaments like Challengers or ITF are a “No go zone”. Your maximum stakes will be limited faster
- I don’t take odds under 1.40 and above 3 to reduce the variance
- Placing odds in breaks between games will make your value bet more accurate
Find out which software is the best for your needs. Down below you can check my detailed comparison table of the best arbitrage and value betting sites.
Can you do tennis betting for a living?
The most simple and honest answer is a strong YES. Tennis betting can be profitable enough to make it for a living. I have a very similar article about matched betting for a living.
The question you have to ask yourself is: are you capable of learning enough about tennis betting?
What does it take to earn enough from tennis betting?
- Good betting strategy. I suggest arbitrage betting for the safe but smaller income and value betting for bigger variances but for way more money.
- Access to a lot of bookmakers. The more bookies you have access to, the better odds will be available for tennis betting. And not to forget that you can use another bookie if your account is limited.
- A decent capital only for betting purposes. I would say that 1k euros are enough for making good profits even for a living.
- A lot of perseverance in times when you face variance for a longer period.
Sports betting for a living could seem very fun as a lifestyle and income source. You don’t have a boss, you can wake up anytime and you can do whatever you want.
But taking it seriously and living only from the betting winnings can make it less interesting. Making tennis betting a living can be very stressful, to be honest.
You will face several weeks without any significant income. It really can happen, because variance is not your friend every time.
To be a professional “gambler” in tennis, your main goal should be to learn enough from players and the trends in this sport.
Value betting is a very good strategy for tennis, you will find a lot of wrong odds and wrong lines on total or handicap bets.
You can take advantage of them, but a lot of experience is needed to make it really profitable.
Let me explain why:
Betting strategies like value betting can be practiced easily in team sports without too deep of a knowledge about the sport itself. In the long run, you can make a lot of money if you take odds above the true probability.
But in tennis, your winnings can be increased significantly if you are experienced. You can find a lot of wrong odds in live betting, but based on my experience, you have to take into consideration the stage and trend in the match.
- I see a lot of “wrong” odds for example on the markets of the serving player. Pinnacle is giving small odds for the next game server while at my soft bookmaker
- I see an odd way higher for that player
- A scanner service will display that odd for a good opportunity
- It’s true that for arbitrage betting that odd can be a gold mine. But if your main activity is to make a living with Value betting, most of the time you don’t mix up strategies.
There are examples when a player seems to be in a very bad physical or mental state. These states can be realized only if you are watching the stream, but they can have a major impact on your results.
Value betting is based on taking the best odds possible for an outcome, that can increase your winning in the long run.
Tennis is one of the best sports for betting. A lot of wrong odds and betting opportunities can appear.
Tennis rules are easy to learn and we can find a ton of statistics about players. But for smart bettors can cause hard times to make money on tennis.
The only betting strategy that can guarantee from every bet placed is arbitrage betting. Tennis is a good sport for this strategy.
A lot of smart bettors are making enough money from tennis betting even for a living.